Renew your membership! Ask others to join!
Remember, 80% of your membership fee goes right back to your local chapter!
That means more fun events in schools, more resources for parents, teachers and students, and more extra-curricular activities in French for our kids!
Why join CPF?
Canadian Parents for French BC & Yukon is a non-profit organization that has worked since 1978 to provide French Second Language learning opportunities for youth, support for parents, and advocacy for quality French programs in our schools. We are part of Canadian Parents for French, a nationwide, research-informed volunteer network comprised of 10 branches, 150 local chapters, and over 23,000 members. Our members are parents, graduates, educators, schools, libraries, organizations, and committed citizens who believe in the value of bilingualism.
In 2014-15 there were 50,300 French Second Language students in BC and the Yukon; and in 2015-16 there were just over 53,000—an increase of over 2000 students! Parents and kids want French as part of their education, and CPF is a critical part of ensuring this happens. The vitality that CPF Chapters bring to their communities enriches the French learning experience at every level. With a growing membership, the opportunities grow!
As a CPF member you are taking an active part in the educational and personal growth of your children and your community. Canada’s two Official Languages are stronger because of your support.
CPF Membership Benefits
- Learn how to support your children as they learn French, even if you don’t speak French
- Find French educational resources, and research on second language learning
- Create social opportunities for your children to experience and use their French
- Information about youth exchanges, bursaries, and work experience
- Socialize and share experiences with parents of similar interests and needs
- Members-only benefits including: camps, provincial and national conferences, discounts,
and access to the members-only section of the CPF website
- Have a voice in decisions about French Second Language education and programs in our schools
- Preserve and grow quality FSL education in our schools
Join or renew online or by mail
Why should your school, district or organization join as an Associate Member (AMO)?
It is mandatory that schools and districts be members in order to compete in District and Provincial Concours d’art oratoire competitions. Associate members receive provincial and national newsletters and mailings to keep school staff and volunteers up-to-date on French Second Language education in BC, Yukon and across Canada. Associate members will be able to attend CPF conferences at member rates and will have access to the latest research in the members-only section of the CPF national website. Most importantly, though, membership demonstrates that schools, districts and organizations endorse the goals and activities of CPF.
Still need convincing? More info:
Top 10 Reasons to join Canadian Parents for French
Membership Benefits Flyer (CPF National)
Brochure/Membership Form (CPF BC & Yukon)
French Summer Camps & CPF Membership
Did you know that CPF Membership is required to attend BC Family French Camp (BCFFC) and other summer camps operated in partnership with, or supported by CPF BC & Yukon? Another great reason to take out a CPF Membership! Many BCFFC camp dates fill up fast so to avoid processing delays, make sure you have your current CPF membership in place! Join/renew online.
Our Chapters – A Strong Community Base
Local chapters represent our thousands of members, giving us a strong voice at all levels of government.
- Organize extra-curricular French language activities and events such as film festivals, reading clubs, field trips, winter carnivals, spring break and summer camps
- Provide information and resources for parents and children
- Work with school districts, principals, and teachers; represent parents on French Advisory Committees
- Recognize student success through awards, gift exchanges, and local public speaking competitions
- Welcome new volunteers and new ideas
Find a chapter near you!
Get involved by either joining your local chapter team or by starting a chapter yourself!
Just scroll through the “Chapters” tab at the top right of our homepage (bc-yk.cpf.ca) to find a chapter near you — or get in touch with the CPF BC & Yukon Branch Office: [email protected]
778.329.9115 or 1.800.665.1222
Connect with us!
Follow our blog and our social media channels for current information on:
- Sponsored youth events and opportunities
- Resources, research, and tools for students, parents, educators, and French Second Language advocates
- French-language exchanges and excursions in Canada and abroad
- Local, regional, and national networking opportunities
- Volunteer leadership and training such as board and committee positions, informational webinars, skills-building workshops, etc.
- Awards, bursaries, and recognition for youth, educators and volunteers
Chapter Executives — everything you need to promote the Membership Drive is right here!
As part of the start to a new school year, CPF runs its annual membership drive from September 1st to October 31st, all across the country, with all 10 branches. CPF Chapters are integral to the drive, as you’re on the ground with the parents who are already members, and with those who will be!
Remember, your members are your best source of support for activities in your community. It’s also the best way to involve volunteers in all the activities you wish to organize for the year.
With that in mind, WHY should you run a strong membership drive? Because…
- Our members form our network. The information they provide about issues, trends, successes, and failures is vital to our effectiveness. They give essential direction to our leaders about positions and activities to be undertaken.
- Our members give us a voice. The opinions of scores at the chapter level, thousands at the provincial/territorial level, and many thousands at the national level count for more than the opinions of just a few. Every brief, request, or position taken by CPF leaders is only as strong as the number of members they represent!
- Members bring new energy, new perspectives and new enthusiasm. We need new members to keep CPF alive, vital, and relevant.
- Our members are also our volunteers. Without them we are unable to create and promote opportunities for young Canadians to learn and use French as a second language.
- CPF is funded in part by its members, and the local chapter receives 80% of the membership fee. These resources allow chapters to fund activities at the local level that would not otherwise be possible.
Most CPF chapters and school representatives set up information tables at schools during the “Meet the Teachers” event or for a week at the end of the first month of school. That is when they have an opportunity to answer questions, sign up volunteers and sell memberships.
And please remember that we’re here to help. We have template letters, membership forms and other documents available online to help you prepare for the membership drive. Better still, we have a great set of tips on tried and trued strategies for recruiting new members. Let us know how we can support you though this membership drive, and through this new year. It promises to be a great year!
Documents, links & files for Chapters’ use during the Membership Drive:
Parent Welcome Package
- Running a Membership Drive – Overview Read this first!
- 10 Reasons why you should join CPF
You can customize this document in the top right corner, by inserting your Chapter name where it says city name in underlined italics
- Welcome Letter for New French Immersion Parents
This is a letter template that you customize to reflect your chapter activities and interests and can include in a Parent Welcome Package along with Wherever you see underlined italicized text you need to insert the correct information so that the letter contains:
- the correct contact information for your chapter
- the correct overview of activities that your chapter is involved with
- CPF BC & YK Membership Pamphlet (Print version)
For Parent Welcome Packages, and for your own community engagement and information-sharing, we’ll send you the brand new CPF BC & YK pamphlet. Just tell us how many copies you need. To help with calculating that number, consider how many you need for such uses as:
- Parent Welcome Package – how many classrooms / students you’ll be able to reach to put in backpacks going home
- At a Welcome! event your Chapter hosts
- At an information fair at school, or at the district level
- At Francophone organizations with information events, or with tables / bulletin boards in their space
- Keep some on hand for unexpected promotional opportunities that arise
- CPF BC & YK Membership Pamphlet (PDF Version)
- Branch logos to use download and use in your documents
Parent Information Events
Consider organizing a Chapter Membership Drive in your community!
This is a great way for you to increase membership and develop connections with your community!
CPF Sooke has had great success with their annual Chapter Membership Drives over the past 3 years and the chapter has kindly provided us with a very useful letter to share with chapter reps to help when asking local businesses for donations/contributions/services to use as prizes in a draw – the entries are made up of all those who signed up for a membership or renewed between Sept 1st and October 31st.
Learn more about CPF Sooke’s Membership Drive on their Facebook page