Nanaimo and Ladysmith’s Canadian Parents for French (CPF) chapter re-established in June 2014, as a volunteer group of parents that support French-as-a-second-language education in public schools, funding speech contests, summer camp and in inspiring entertainers for our students, as well as advocating for French immersion offerings like Late Immersion and supporting other parents like us.
We have great plans for future years but need your help to make them happen! If you'd like more information, join us for our monthly meetings, and/or volunteer for an event, please email us at [email protected]
WHO WE ARE
We are a chapter of the national Canadian Parents for French non-profit organization, that was CPF founded in 1977 by parents who wanted to ensure that children would have the opportunity to become bilingual in the Canadian school system. Our chapter re-formed in June 2014, after a small group of parents successfully lobbied to start a Late French Immersion class for Grade 6 in September 2014.
A local CPF chapter benefits French language education by:
-being a clearinghouse of information, events, research and funding for the local French
immersion and French as a second language community;
-accessing funding for French cultural events to enrich the learning experience;
-identifying and advocating for improvements, as a coordinated voice;
linking the FSL community to each other and to local francophones
WHAT IS COMING UP FOR 2019/2020
- Congratulations to Suzanne Lamoureux the winner of our $75 gift basket from Thrifty Foods!
- Our Annual General Meeting will be on Wednesday, August 12, 2020 at 11 am on Protection Island. Lunch will be included. We will be electing our new board. If you are interested in running for a position please let us know. Very little commitment to volunteer with us and there are lots of benefits for members and their families. Non-members are invited to join the meeting, if you`d like to invite other supporters or interested folks. Please RSVP by Saturday, August 9 if you would like to attend this meeting and need a (free!) boat ride over and back.
- Congratulations to Elise Therrien who won second place for Grade 12 Francophone student at the virtual Concours. See her video here: https://vimeo.com/414393956. You can also watch the videos submitted by Sacha Therrien (https://vimeo.com/413819112) and Aidan Metz (https://youtu.be/G-kZ7woNz1A)! If you know of any other students from our district, we would like to send them a congratulatory letter.
- Due to Covid 19 concerns, we have had to cancel the National Film Board of Canada’s Rendez-vous de la Francophonie on March 29, 2020 at Beacon House on Protection Island and at the L'ÁFN office in Nanaimo. We would like to thank Thrifty Foods for supporting the Beacon House showing and Country Grocer for supporting the L'AFN showing.
- You can watch the Rendez-vous de la Francophonie from home: https://www.onf.ca/selection/rendez-vous-de-la-francophonie-2020/
-- Thanks to the Sociocultural grant, the Maple Man came to NDSS on Feb. 27! Unforunately, the Cafe Francais that we were hosting at NDSS had to be cancelled due to COVID-19. CPF (Nanaimo-Ladysmith) Chapter wishes to acknowledge the financial support of the Province of British Columbia, Ministry of Education, and the Government of Canada, Canadian Heritage/Patrimoine canadien. We also wish to thank Canadian Parents for French BC & Yukon Branch for its support.
- Thank you for supporting us during our Membership Drive in 2019!
- We are always looking for new members as 80% of your membership comes back to the group so we can help fund french enrichment activities in our school district!
- Congratulations to the students who attended the Provincial Concours d'Art Oratoire in Surrey in 2019! CPF provided the students with a certificate of recognition and a gift certificate to use on the ferry.
- In April 2019, Theatre la Seizieme preformed at Ecole Oceane and at NDSS. Theatre la Seizieme also conducted a few workshops at NDSS.
- Rendez-vous de la Francophonie Film Festival was held on Protection Island on Saturday, March 30, 2019 and at L'Association des frocophones office in Nanaimo.
- Our AGM was on August 22, 2019 at 7 pm on Protection Island. We elected a new board.
- Bursaries, Awards, Grants for Teachers and Students!
- French events in the community examples:
The Nanaimo Francophone Association is provides a pre-school (children 5 and under) immersion program at Ecole Oceane on Tuesday mornings.
Adult French courses: 8 wk session start September 10 (Mondays: Intermediate: 4:30 pm to 6:00 pm; Elementary 1: 6:00 pm to 7:30 pm; Beginner 3: 7:30 pm to 9:00 pm. Saturdays: Advanced Conversation: 9:30 am to 11:00 am; Elementary Conversation: 11:15 am to 12:45 pm; Beginner 1: 12:45 pm to 2:15 pm). 250-729-2776. [email protected] $115-145. http://www.francophonenanaimo.org/AFN/services/educatifs_eng.html
- Sharing information about activities within the French immersion and FSL community
- Staying current with SD68 French instruction news, for example:
In 2019, 7 students from our district attend the Provincial Concours d'Art Oratoire in Surrey!
AGM and Board Meetings
You are cordially invited to our next board meeting of the CPF Nanaimo-Ladysmith Chapter on: Saturday, July 12, 2020 at 12 pm on Protection Island.
Inviting parent participation from écoles Hammond Bay, Pauline Haarer, Quarterway, North Oyster, Océane, NDSS and Ladysmith Secondary.
FRENCH IMMERSION/FRANCOPHONE SCHOOL INFORMATION:
Online Registration for the Early French Immersion 2019/2020 school year begins on January 8, 2019 at 8 am. For more information about the application process and the on-line registration form, visit the school district website at: https://www.sd68.bc.ca/students-parents/registration-information/
Late French Immersion begins in grade 6 at Quarterway School. Quaterway provides late immersion for grades 6 and 7. For more information, contact school principal Mike Lundine at [email protected] and tel (250) 754-6845.
Children of parents and grandparents who are Francophone may wish to send their children to École Océane, the local Francophone elementary school. For more information on the registration process please visit their website at https://oceane.csf.bc.ca/
Secondary students continue their French Immersion and Francophone studies at École Secondaire Nanaimo District. (NDSS) or Ladysmith Secodary for grades 8 and 9.
French Immersion and Francophone School Contact and Websites:
Ecole Hammond Bay – Phone 250 758-5711; https://hb.schools.sd68.bc.ca/
École North Oyster – Phone 250 245-3330; https://no.schools.sd68.bc.ca/
École Océane - Phone 250 714-0761; https://oceane.csf.bc.ca/
École Pauline Haarer – Phone 250 754-2722; https://ph.schools.sd68.bc.ca/
École Quarterway – Phone 250 754-6845; https://www.quarterway.ca/
École Secondaire Nanaimo District - Phone 250 740-200; https://nd.schools.sd68.bc.ca/
Ladysmith Secondary - Phone 250 245-3043; https://ls.schools.sd68.bc.ca/
If your child is already in French Immersion in another district and you are moving to our district, please contact the French Immersion school of your choice for registration information.
If you would like assistance with registering your student for French Immersion, please email us at [email protected]
Thank you for supporting french as a second language in Nanaimo and Ladysmith, home of one of the largest French immersion student populations in BC. Support us by becoming a member - www.cpf.ca
President: Paula Ng
Vice President: Francois Savard
Treasurer: Sarah Colleret
Communications Director: Emily Barnewall