Nanaimo and Ladysmith’s Canadian Parents for French (CPF) chapter re-established in June 2014, as a volunteer group of parents that support French-as-a-second-language education in public schools, funding speech contests, summer camp and in inspiring entertainers for our students, as well as advocating for French immersion offerings like Late Immersion and supporting other parents like us.
We have great plans for future years but need your help to make them happen! If you'd like more information, join us for our monthly meetings, and/or volunteer for an event, please email us at [email protected]
WHO WE ARE
We are a chapter of the national Canadian Parents for French non-profit organization, that was CPF founded in 1977 by parents who wanted to ensure that children would have the opportunity to become bilingual in the Canadian school system. Our chapter re-formed in June 2014, after a small group of parents successfully lobbied to start a Late French Immersion class for Grade 6 in September 2014.
President: Paula Ng
Vice President: Francois Savard
Treasurer: Sarah Colleret
Secretary: Francine Dupuis
Communications Director: Emily Barnewall
A local CPF chapter benefits French language education by:
-being a clearinghouse of information, events, research and funding for the local French immersion and French as a second language community;
-accessing funding for French cultural events to enrich the learning experience;
-identifying and advocating for improvements, as a coordinated voice;
linking the FSL community to each other and to local francophones
WHAT IS COMING UP
- Next meeting is on Thursday, June 6, 2019 at 7 pm on Protection Island. Please RSVP to [email protected] by Wednesday if you would like to attend this meeting and need a boat ride over and back. We will be meeting discussing ideas or events that could use funding from the sociocultural grant! Very little commitment but lots of benefits for members and their families. Non-members are invited to join the meeting, if you`d like to invite other supporters or interested folks.
- Congratulations to the students who attended the Provincial Concours d'Art Oratoire in Surrey! CPF provided the students with a certificate of recognition and a gift certificate to use on the ferry.
- Gift basket raffle! Congratulations to Christine Firth who won the Thrifty Foods gift basket! We raised $344! Thank you to everyone who purchased tickets!
-We have submitted our Sociocultural application to cover half of the cost for Theatre la seizieme to come to NDSS (with students bused from Ladysmith Secondary School to attend as well) and to Ecole Oceane and Ecole Quarterway.
We are always looking for new members as 80% of your membership comes back to the group so we can help fund french enrichment activities in our school district!
- French events in the community examples:
The Nanaimo Francophone Association hosted their annual Maple Sugar Festival from Feb. 22-24, 2019. There was a special plaid dinner on Feb. 22 at 6 pm. Advanced tickets are $30 and include dinner and live entertainment. Please contact 250.729.2776 for tickets.
The Nanaimo Francophone Association is provides a pre-school (children 5 and under) immersion program at Ecole Oceane on Tuesday mornings.
Adult French courses: 8 wk session start September 10 (Mondays: Intermediate: 4:30 pm to 6:00 pm; Elementary 1: 6:00 pm to 7:30 pm; Beginner 3: 7:30 pm to 9:00 pm. Saturdays: Advanced Conversation: 9:30 am to 11:00 am; Elementary Conversation: 11:15 am to 12:45 pm; Beginner 1: 12:45 pm to 2:15 pm). 250-729-2776. [email protected] $115-145. http://www.francophonenanaimo.org/AFN/services/educatifs_eng.html
- Sharing information about activities within the French immersion and FSL community
- Staying current with SD68 French instruction news, for example:
In 2018, 5 students from our district won awards at the Provincial Concours d'Art Oratoire in Surrey!
AGM and Board Meetings
Next meeting is on Thursday, June 6, 2019 at 7 pm on Protection Island. Please RSVP to [email protected] by Wednesday if you would like to attend this meeting and need a boat ride over and back.
Inviting parent participation from écoles Hammond Bay, Pauline Haarer, Quarterway, North Oyster, Océane, NDSS and Ladysmith Secondary.
FRENCH IMMERSION/FRANCOPHONE SCHOOL INFORMATION:
Online Registration for the Early French Immersion 2018/2019 school year begins on January 10, 2019 at 8 am. For more information about the application process and the on-line registration form, visit the school district website at: https://www.sd68.bc.ca/?page_id=2357
Late French Immersion begins in grade 6 at Quarterway School. Quaterway provides late immersion for grades 6 and 7. For more information, contact school principal Mike Lundine at [email protected] and tel (250) 754-6845.
Children of parents and grandparents who are Francophone may wish to send their children to École Océane, the local Francophone elementary school. For more information on the registration process please visit their website at https://oceane.csf.bc.ca/
Secondary students continue their French Immersion and Francophone studies at École Secondaire Nanaimo District. (NDSS) or Ladysmith Secodary for grades 8 and 9.
French Immersion and Francophone School Contact and Websites:
Ecole Hammond Bay – Phone 250 758-5711; https://hb.schools.sd68.bc.ca/
École North Oyster – Phone 250 245-3330; https://no.schools.sd68.bc.ca/
École Océane - Phone 250 714-0761; https://oceane.csf.bc.ca/
École Pauline Haarer – Phone 250 754-2722; https://ph.schools.sd68.bc.ca/
École Quarterway – Phone 250 754-6845; https://www.quarterway.ca/
École Secondaire Nanaimo District - Phone 250 740-200; https://nd.schools.sd68.bc.ca/
Ladysmith Secondary - Phone 250 245-3043; https://ls.schools.sd68.bc.ca/
If your child is already in French Immersion in another district and you are moving to our district, please contact the French Immersion school of your choice for registration information.
If you would like assistance with registering your student for French Immersion, please email us at [email protected]
Thank you for supporting french as a second language in Nanaimo and Ladysmith, home of one of the largest French immersion student populations in BC. Support us by becoming a member - www.cpf.ca
- Rendez-vous de la Francophonie Film Festival was held on Protection Island on Saturday, March 30, 2019 and at L'Association des frocophones office in Nanimo.
- AGM was on September 26, 2018 at 6 pm on Protection Island. We elected a new board and enjoyed a presentation from Rowan Burdge, visiting from the CPF branch office in Vancouver.