Célébrons l’immersion française!
French Immersion Celebration Week 2017
Once again in 2017, to celebrate CPF BC & Yukon volunteers and the successes of French Immersion in BC & Yukon, the first week of February (Jan 31-Feb 10, 2017) was officially recognized as French Immersion Celebration Week by both the Government of British Columbia and the Government of Yukon.
During this week (and month!) of celebration, CPF members organized events across the province. Students and their families were invited to celebrate and share their achievements in French Immersion programs. Chapters also hosted appreciation events for their volunteers, usually involving delicious French treats!
Chapter Reps: It’s not too late to send in photos and stories to firstname.lastname@example.org for inclusion on this page!
Here are a few ways that CPF chapters around BC & Yukon celebrated French Immersion in their communities!
CPF Bulkley Valley
- Hosted a full week of carnival activities from February 14-17th, culminating on the Friday night with a Cabane à Sucre, ice-breaker races, snow painting, and hockey!
CPF North Vancouver
- Students at École Braemar came together to celebrate bilingualism, learn about French Canadian culture, the rich history of the Québec Winter “Carnaval,” and to celebrate Canada’s 150th Anniversary of Confederation. Students from all 7 French Immersion Elementary schools in the North Vancouver School District converged at a local cinema to view La guerre des tuques 3D. And at its February chapter executive meeting, over tasty French pastries, CPF North Van members raised a toast to its successes over the past year, and looked forward to upcoming events.
- Les Bûcherons performed at two elementary schools and CPF volunteers received lovely Thank You gift bags!
CPF South Cariboo
- South Cariboo hosted a mini carnival for over 200 students at the local elementary school!
- Enjoyed a beautiful Gâteau Saint-Honoré, decorated in CPF green, with chapter reps!
- Skate with Bonhomme
About 300 people had fun dancing and skating to French music at CPF Vernon’s Skate with Bonhomme de neige. The event happened during French Immersion Celebration Week and Vernon’s Winter Carnival on Feb 5 2017. Cobs Bread donated over a hundred yummy maple scones specially made for Skate with Bonhomme! The Vernon Winter Carnival Society sent their mascots to join in the fun as well. The local Vernon newspaper went Facebook LIVE and took some incredible photos for Sunday’s paper. Thank you to the dozen volunteers who skated, sewed, smiled and sweated – everyone came together to make our first ever Skate with Bonhomme extra special!
To celebrate French immersion week, the Department of Education and Canadian Parents for French hosted a Café-rencontre supper at l’Association franco-yukonnaise (AFY). A celebratory cake was served, students talked about the impact of French Immersion in their lives and a video highlighting the French Immersion program in the Yukon was screened.