- Festive origami “coin-coin” (fortune teller) from French for the Future. Video instructions here.
- Free French Christmas activities from For French Immersion (login to TeachersPayTeachers.com required)
- Gift tags in French to colour and personalize from Momes.net
- Cher père Noël letter template from Momes.net
- « Mon p’tit cahier rigolo pour attendre Noël » Christmas activity book for kids aged 3-6 from Momes.net
- « Le p’tit cahier rigolo pour attendre Noël » Christmas activity book for kids aged 6 and up from Momes.net
Christmas Vocabulary & Traditions
- Festive French Vocabulary from Lawless French:
- History of French Canadian Christmas Celebrations from Encyclopedia of French Cultural Heritage in North America:
- The ABCs of French Christmas and New Year Celebrations from Talk in French:
- Christmas in France: Le sapin et père Noël from Comme une française:
- 54 Useful French Vocabulary and Expressions for the Holiday Season from Talk in French:
- Strasbourg, France is home to one of Europe’s oldest Christmas markets, visit its website to find out why it claims to be the Capital of Christmas!
Videos & films
- Nicolas Noël answers very important questions about le père Noël in French in these charming video clips from Radio-Canada, one for each day of December! Watch them all here:
- List of French Christmas Videos from For French Immersion:
- National Film Board Christmas films in French:
- Mini chante Nöel – L’arbre de Nöel:
- Barbapapa Noël:
- La Guerre des tuques is a beloved, heartwarming winter film from Québec and is available from most libraries, look for it under its English title “Snowtime”
- Use the French soundtrack when watching classic Christmas DVDs like Elf or Polar Express!
- Belle et Sebastien – not Christmas-themed but this TV show is perfect for watching during the winter holidays, it is a charming animated version of the beloved book of the same name
- Check out our French Film Resources post for more French-language films to curl up with over the holiday!
Games & Apps
- Sur les pistes de père Noël is Google’s “Santa Tracker” in French! Discover new games and activities each day and follow his journey on the 24th!
- EduLulu’s approved Christmas apps (EduLulu is the Canadian reference for educational apps in French and English)
- Christmas-themed games to print out from Momes.net
- Find more ideas for games and apps in our French activities page
Christmas music and audiobooks
- ICI Musique (Radio-Canada’s music streaming service) has a great collection of “webradios” featuring Christmas songs in French:
- Le Noël des petits is ICI Musique’s Christmas webradio especially for children
- Popular BC singer Charlotte Diamond’s Bonjour l’hiver, a winter holiday CD, completely in French:
- BC educator Shauna Néro’s French Christmas delightful music playlist for primary students:
- French Canadian Christmas Music: a compilation by francophone music blogger Roch Archambault:
- « La Magie de Noël » Christmas album from Carmen Campagne, a very popular children’s singer and performer:
- « Le Loup de Noël », a charming French-Canadian Christmas story/CD featuring a dozen traditional French-Canadian party songs:
- For older listeners, Radio-Canada offers a wise Christmas tale « La Housse partie » set in the Middle Ages:
- Comptines et chansons de Noël from Momes.net:
- Get some reading ideas from « La magie de Noël », a great list of French-language Christmas books:
- Borrow French e-books for free from la Bibliothèque des Amériques, you just need to create a free account! Check out the Christmas-themed books here:
- « Sophielit.ca » is a website dedicated to French-language books for teens, check out its Advent Calendar books list:
- Un petit dessin vaut mieux qu’une grande leçon is a reference book from Le Robert that would make a great gift – a wonderful way to learn how to spell words en français with the help of charming illustrations.
Christmas in Québec and France
A few festive scenes from Quebec City, Montreal, Nice, Strasbourg & Paris