Finding great books to read en français over the summer has never been easier!
Reading in French is the best way for any French language-learner to broaden their vocabulary and challenge their comprehension skills — and there certainly is no shortage of wonderful French-language books for all ages and interests! But finding a French book that keeps your child so engaged that they forget they’re reading French can be a challenge – especially if you don’t speak the language. Here are some resources to help you find the perfect books for your child to escape into this summer!
Summer Reading Clubs
British Columbia Summer Reading Club 2017
The BC Summer Reading Club is a free literacy program designed to engage school-aged children, ages 5-14, with libraries and reading, throughout the summer. Ask your librarian for a list of French books for your child’s 2017 “Walk on the Wild Side/Balade dans la nature sauvage” Reading Record!
TD Summer Reading Club | Club de lecture d’été TD
TD Summer Reading Club is Canada’s biggest bilingual summer reading program for kids of all ages, all interests, and all abilities. This free program is offered at 2,000 public libraries across Canada, and it’s easy to include in any summer plans. The Club celebrates Canadian authors, illustrators and stories, and inspires kids to explore the fun of reading their way. This is key to building a lifelong love of reading. Kids can take part anywhere—at local public libraries across Canada as well as at home, online, or wherever summer takes them.
- Top 10 French picture books as recently selected by Adrienne Gear, a Vancouver consultant, teacher, author and literacy leader. Check out her “Reading Power” blog here.
- 40 French Books To Help Your French Immersion Child Reading lists for all ages put together by teachers at Camp Tournesol in Ontario.
- Some municipal libraries maintain comprehensive lists of French-language materials, check out North Vancouver City Library’s “Listes de livres” here and Burnaby Public Library’s French Immersion section here.
- Indigo’s French Book List and French Immersion Book Lists
- Club de lecture TD – Livres vedettes Featured French books from the TD Summer Reading Club 2017
- Communication-Jeunesse is a nationwide, nonprofit cultural organization that develops tools and reference materials to promote reading.
- Pouvoir de lire offers lists, tips and tricks for supporting reading from reading specialist Julie Provencher (content is in French)
Audio & E-Books
- Check out French e-books in the Tumblebooks online library – many libraries and schools offer free access
- Bibliothèque des Amériques: become a member for free and have access to thousands of French titles for all ages
- Kayak magazine (Canadian history presented in a comic-book style)
- Les Débrouillards magazine (fun science magazine for younger kids)
- GéoAdo (fun science magazine for teens)
Fun ways to support reading in French
- Bookaboo Amusing French-language preschool show from Radio-Canada about a world-famous rock star puppy who needs to read a story a day to play!
- La Francomobile Developed by experts specifically for 7-12 year olds, La Francomobile is an award-winning app that improves beginners’ oral and written comprehension skills in French with over 20 hours of fun games and 40 short videos.
- EduLulu Created for parents and teachers, EduLulu is the first public evaluation service for educational apps available in Canada. EduLulu’s evaluations are the work of teams of independent experts, including teachers, parents, ergonomists, and designers.
- La Montagne secrète Beautiful, award-winning book-CDs featuring renowned writers, artists and musicians.
- Dominique et compagnie, which is located in Quebec, offers quality French books to young readers such as Toupie et Binou and Série Papa
- L’école des Loisirs is a French publisher dedicated to literature for children and youth for over 50 years. The books are available with a subscription through the MAX Book Club, which is popular with schools and CPF chapters in BC. You can also listen to some of the books for free on the MAX Book Club site.
- La Charte pour les enfants: French versions of the 14 books in The Charter for Children series which introduces children to the basic principles of The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.
Places to buy French books
- Bayard Jeunesse A publisher and online retailer of French-language magazines, CDs, games, workbooks and much more for children.
- Renaud-Bray An entirely French bookstore based in Montreal. Materials can be searched for and ordered online.
- Archambault is an online retailer of books, magazines, CDs, DVDs and other French-language products, based in Montreal.
- Indigo offers a variety of products in French. Visit Indigo’s French-language website for a large selection of solely French products.
- Scholar’s Choice carries an extensive collection of French-language resources to help implement and support curriculum standards in the classroom or at home.